Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 4 Hansard (11 April) . . Page.. 1104 ..
O'Connell Education Centre and Griffith Library
(Question Nos 75 and 76)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Planning and the Minister for Education, Youth and Family Services, upon notice:
In relation to the O'Connell Education Centre and Griffith Library.
(1) What plans does the Government have for the future of the (a) O'Connell Education Centre and (b) Griffith Library.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
The Department of Education and Community Services is scheduled to vacate the Griffith site by March 2003 at which time the surplus property will be transferred to the Department of Urban Services.
The Government has made clear statements in regard to the immediate future of Section 78 Griffith.
- The site is being removed from the Government's Land Release Program;
- Work by the Planning and Land Management (PALM) on the finalisation of the development control plan for the former proposal has ceased;
- PALM is undertaking a Community Facility Needs Assessment for South Canberra. Following the outcomes of this assessment alternative appropriate uses for the O'Connell Education Centre buildings may be considered;
- The remainder of the site will be considered in the context of a future Neighbourhood Plan. In particular, the area considered to be open space will be included in the broader review of the Canberra Open Space Network; and
- Canberra Urban Parks and Places is proceeding with stage 1 of the local centre refurbishment.
- The Griffith Library will stay in this location.