Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1999 Week 13 Hansard (7 December) . . Page.. 3858 ..
"(1) A person must not, without the approval of the Minister, provide ambulance services.
Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units, imprisonment for 6 months or both.
(2) Subject to the regulations, in considering an application for approval, the Minister must have regard to-
(a) the public benefit; and
(b) the impact that approval of the application would have on the health and safety of the community.".
Page 28, line 31, subclause (7), omit the subclause, substitute the following subclause:
"(7) Subsection (1) does not apply-
(a) to a doctor who provides medical treatment, or pre-hospital patient care to a patient, in the course of, or as an incident of, conducting his or her medical practice; or
(b) to an organisation in respect of first aid rendered by a member of the organisation in the course of his or her duties as such a member; or
(c) to any other person who renders first aid.".
Page 29, line 3, subclause (8), definition of "medical practitioner", omit the definition.
Clause 75, page 31, line 24, subclause (1), omit the penalty, substitute the following penalty:
"Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units, imprisonment for 6 months or both.".
Clauses 80 and 81, page 32, line 35, omit the clauses, substitute the following clauses:
(1) NIB Health Funds Limited is taken to have been approved under section 68.
(2) This section expired 3 months after it commences.
81. Consequential amendments and repeals
(1) The Ambulance Service Levy Act 1990 is amended on the commencement of Division 2 of Part VI by omitting the definition of ACT Ambulance Service in subsection 4 (1) and substituting the following definition:
"ACT ambulance service means the ACT Ambulance Service provided for under subsection 54 (1) of the Emergency Management Act 1999.".
(2) Section 6 of the Ambulance Service Levy Act 1990 is repealed on the commencement of Division 2 of Part VI.
(3) Sections 3, 5 and 7 to 11 of the Ambulance Service Levy Act 1990 are repealed on the commencement of Division 3 of Part VI.
(4) Section 11A of the Ambulance Service Levy Act 1990 is repealed on the commencement of section 78.