Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1999 Week 11 Hansard (19 October) . . Page.. 3321 ..
MR RUGENDYKE (5.44): I move:
Page 22, line 2, omit the clauses, substitute the following clauses:
"49 Childrens Court Magistrates
(1) The Chief Magistrate must, in writing, declare 1 magistrate to be the Childrens Court Magistrate for a stated term of up to 2 years.
(2) The Chief Magistrate must revoke the declaration on request in writing by the Childrens Court Magistrate.
(3) The Chief Magistrate may declare himself or herself to be the Childrens Court Magistrate.
50 Restriction on assignment to act as Childrens Court Magistrate
(1) The Chief Magistrate may assign a magistrate to act as Childrens Court Magistrate only if-
(a) there is no Childrens Court Magistrate; or
(b) the Childrens Court Magistrate-
(i) is absent from duty or from the Territory; or
(ii) for another reason, cannot carry out the duties of Childrens Court Magistrate.
(2) A magistrate assigned to act as Childrens Court Magistrate is the Childrens Court Magistrate for this Act and any other Act.
50A Arrangement of business of court
The Chief Magistrate is responsible for ensuring the orderly and prompt discharge of the business of the Childrens Court and accordingly may, subject to appropriate and practicable consultation with the magistrates, make arrangements as to the magistrate who is to constitute the Childrens Court.".
This particular amendment relates to the Children's Court magistrate. It is a mirror of the amendments we were debating last week, and takes precedence, I believe, over those amendments since they are mirrored in this new piece of legislation.
Amendment agreed to.