Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1999 Week 9 Hansard (2 September) . . Page.. 2917 ..
(Question No. 194)
Mr Wood asked the Chief Minister, upon notice, on 2 September 1999:
"Noting that the fingerscan system operating in the Nara Building car park has been plagued by unreliability and delays culminating in massive failures over the last two weeks".
(1) When will the system be fixed.
(2) For safety reasons, will the operators of the car park reinstate push button or
automatic releases for the exits.
(3) What has been the total cost of maintaining and repairing the system since it was
introduced in 1997, including the cost of time of the public servants who scan new staff and assist all users with problems.
Ms Carnell: The answer to the Member's question is as follows:
(1) Fingerscan was fixed by Aulich & Co on 1 September, 1999.
(2) The Fingerscan system has proved to be generally effective. My Department will
increase the level of user education to minimise the number of problems
encountered by users.
(3) The total maintenance fee since the installation of Fingerscan in March 1997 has
been $11,000 which includes all service calls, parts and labour.