Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1999 Week 6 Hansard (22 June) . . Page.. 1764 ..
Mr Hargreavesasked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 5 May 1999:
In relation to Aerial Taxi Cabs Co-operative Society Limited (the Society)
(1) Does the Government have any agreements or arrangements in place
with the Society which trades as Canberra Cabs for the provision of taxi
services in the ACT.
(2) What is the legal status of the Society and Canberra Cabs.
(3) Has any investigation been made about the inter-relationship between the Society and Canberra Cabs in the context of section 71 of the Co-operative Societies Act 1939.
Mr Smyth: The answer to the Member's question is as follows:
(1) Yes. The Department of Urban Services has entered into a service level agreement with the Aerial Taxi Cabs Society Limited which:
(a) determines the level of taxi services to be provided to the ACT community; and
(b) defines performance measures for the level of service provided
and, in particular, their quantity, quality and effectiveness, and
their timeliness and cost.
(2) The Registrar of Co-operative Societies advises that the Aerial Taxi Cabs Society Limited is a co-operative society registered under the Co-operative Societies Act 1939. I am advised by the Registrar-General that Canberra Cabs is a business name registered by the Society.
(3) I am not aware of any previous investigation having been made into this
matter. However, I am advised by the ACT Government Solicitor that
sub-section 71 (1) of the Co-operative Societies Act 1939 provides as