Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 11 Hansard (10 December) . . Page.. 3539 ..
QUESTION NUMBER 68
Leases - Grants
Ms Tucker - asked the Minister for Urban Services:
In relation to the schedule of leases granted for the period 1 July 1998 to
30 September 1998, for the following leases granted under section 161(1)(d) of the Land (Planning and Environment) Act:-
. McKellar Section 50 Block 16
. McKellar Section 52 Block 6
. Mawson Section 47 Block 23
. Mitchell Section 38 Block 13
. Hume Section 5 Block 60
(1) What is the purpose for which the land will be used.
(2) Why was the grant made to this particular lessee.
(3) Were other organisations given the opportunity to bid for these blocks.
Mr Smyth - the answers to the Member's question is as follows:
McKellar Section 50 Block 16 and McKellar Section 52 Block 6 (the same answers apply to both blocks)
(1) The purpose is for residential and shall contain not more than four single unit private dwellings in total.
(2) Tokich Homes Pty Ltd trading as Eco-Land Developments approached the ACT Government with a proposal to develop ecologically sustainable housing that would help revitalise local centres and surrounding neighbourhoods.
Eco-Land in conjunction with BASAT and PALM identified two sites in McKellar and one in Fisher, adjacent to the local centres for the pilot projects. As the proposed development was of a small nature it was not possible to incorporate significant environmental initiatives. As part of the arrangement Eco-Land agreed to fund various public works at the local centre to improve the appearance and operation of the centres. These works were included as part of the lease conditions.
In September 1997, the Government agreed to the direct sale of land. The Lessee applied for the land in accordance with Disallowable Instrument No 200 of 1997.
(3) No. The land was sold by direct grant.