Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . .

Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 10 Hansard (25 November) . . Page.. 2989 ..

MR MOORE (continuing):

(ii) after termination of pregnancy or during and after carrying the pregnancy to term;

(c) provide the woman with any information approved under subclause 15(3);

(d) provide the woman with any information approved under subclause 15(4); and

(e) provide the woman with any information approved under subclause 15(5).".

Page 4, line 17, subclause (2), omit the subclause.

Page 4, line 23, subclause (3), omit "pamphlets provided under subsection (2)", substitute "materials provided under paragraphs (1)(c), (1)(d) or (1)(e)".

Mr Speaker, these amendments catalogue new information requirements. Members will see that the information required is balanced and comprehensive and that the requirement is easy to comply with. It is a reasonable requirement for advice and information that removes the bias that is part and parcel of the Bill. It does not attempt to set any specifics for medical advice. I will be leaving that to the advisory panel to determine. I do not support inclusion of specific medical issues in legislation. I think that is inappropriate. I think that is one of the great weaknesses of the Bill. These amendments will allow the advisory panel to deal with what advice goes into the package that this legislation requires women to be given.

MR OSBORNE (12.25 am): I am reasonably comfortable with this compromise, for want of a better term. I need to put on record my belief in clause 7. I feel that it sets out information which is very relevant. I do not disagree with people on the advisory panel looking at the issues, but I am sure that, given the overwhelming evidence in relation to some of these things, they will certainly be identified in the future pamphlet in line with the High Court decision in relation to information that must be provided.

I will support these amendments. I look forward to hearing from the panel about the medical risks of "carrying a pregnancy to term". I would not imagine there would be many but I am reasonably happy about having these words in the clause. I am sure that the people involved in putting together the information will put together something that is balanced.

MR HARGREAVES (12.27 am): I rise to support Mr Moore's amendments. My problems with the Bill as it stands is that, in my opinion, it provides only 25 per cent of the argument. The other 75 per cent is missing. That gave me a great deal of concern, even though I did understand the sincere motives of Mr Osborne in bringing forward his Bill.

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . .