Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 9 Hansard (19 November) . . Page.. 2734 ..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY FOR THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
QUESTION ON NOTICE
QUESTION NO. 49
MR STANHOPE: Asked the Minister for Justice and Community Safety in relation to the Law Reform Commission -
(1) Is the Commission serviced by a dedicated Secretariat, and if so, what is the size of the Secretariat staff?
(2) How many current references does the Commission have before it?
(3) Does the Commission meet regularly, and if so, how often?
(4) In the past 5 years, how many reports by title has the Commission delivered?
MR HUMPHRIES: The answer to Mr Stanhope's question is as follows:
(1) No. The General Law Group within the Department provides limited secretariat support in relation to particular references. The level of the support varies depending upon the issue at hand.
(2) Currently, the Commission has five references before it which include:
Rules of Court
Residential Tenancy Law
(3) Generally, the Commission attempts to meet on a quarterly basis; but it does meet more regularly if circumstances require. The Commission has met on six occasions this year. Much of the Commission's work is done by its members individually or in informal subcommittees between Commission meetings.