Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 5 Hansard (27 August) . . Page.. 1578 ..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NUMBER 32
Accommodation for Lone Fathers in Crisis
MS TUCKER -asked the Minister for Education on notice on 25 June 1998 :
In relation to the proposed accommodation for lone fathers in crisis -
1. Has there been an evaluation of existing services for men in the ACT? If so, will the Minister provide details?
2. Will the Minister provide details of what processes have been followed to examine likely efficacy of the proposed model?
3. Will the Minister provide details of what consultation has taken place with existing service providers about service gaps for men and the most appropriate service delivery models?
4. Has the proposed accommodation been open to a public tender process
(a) if so, what are the details of the process; (b) if not, why not?
5. What conditions will be placed on the service provider in terms of
evaluation of client satisfaction, (b) service delivery standards, (c) participation on relevant community networks and (d) any other matter.
MR STEFANIAK - the answer to Ms Tucker's question is:
The accommodation service for lone fathers in crisis is shortly to be established. It will be a refuge-based service delivery model. The answers to the specific questions asked are:
1. A formal evaluation has not taken place. Over the last few years it has become evident through communication with the community with a range of interest groups, that there is a perceived gap in service delivery for crisis accommodation for single fathers. Available services which single fathers can access include family support programs operated by the ACT Regional Community Services, parenting courses through the Family Resource Centre, the Smith Family family support program, SAAP family sector services, Canberra One Parent Family Support service, Parent Support Service and Murringu Men's Drop-In Centre.