Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 4 Hansard (25 June) . . Page.. 1154 ..
AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
QUESTION ON NOTICE NUMBER 17
Big Splash Water Park
On 3 June 1998, Ms Tucker asked the following questions of the Minister for Urban
17 MS TUCKER: To ask the Minister for Urban Services - In relation to
Big Splash WaterPark
(1) How long have the present lessees, owners, operators and managers been running or been otherwise involved in the pool.
(2) What is (a) the nature of the present lease and (b) what period does the present lease cover.
(3) Has approval been given for an extension or any other variation to the lease and
(a) If so, (i) when was approval given and (ii) what extra length of lease and other variations were approved;
(b) If not, has one ever been considered by any planning or land management
authority of the ACT Government, if so (i) when,
(ii) by whom and (iii) in what circumstances and what request was the extension considered.
The answer to the Member's question is:
(l) The current lessees have been operating the Big Splash Water Park since 29 March 1994 when they bought the lease from the previous owner.
(2) (a) The current lease was granted for the purposes of an aquatic centre, an indoor sport and recreation centre and an unlicensed family restaurant. Uses other than those related to swimming and other aquatic activities may be subject to specific conditions determined by the Territory.
(b) The current lease commenced on 23 March 1988 and terminates on
1 October 2078.
(3) (a) (i) No extension of the current lease has been approved. However, the original lease was issued in 1965 on a yearly basis. This lease period was extended a number of times until 1979 when tenders where called and the then lessee was successful in obtaining a 99 year lease.