Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 3 Hansard (26 May) . . Page.. 541 ..
MS CARNELL (Chief Minister and Treasurer) (11.37): Mr Speaker, I seek leave to move a motion to appoint a Select Committee on Estimates 1998-99.
MS CARNELL: Mr Speaker, I move:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 1998-99 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 1998-99 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 1998 Budget, and the Annual and Financial Reports for the financial year 1997-98;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) one Member to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) two members to be nominated by either the Independent Members or the ACT Greens;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 10.00 a.m. on Thursday, 28 May 1998;
(3) the Committee report by 25 August 1998 in respect of the Appropriation Bill 1998-99 and by 24 November 1998 in respect of the Annual and Financial Reports for the 1997-98 financial year;
(4) if the Assembly is not sitting when the Committee has completed either of its inquiries, the Committee may send the relevant report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publication and circulation;
(5) the Committee is authorised to release copies of its reports, prior to the Speaker or Deputy Speaker authorising their printing, publication and circulation and pursuant to embargo conditions and to persons to be determined by the Committee;