Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 2 Hansard (21 May) . . Page.. 523 ..
MINISTER FOR URBAN SERVICES
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION ON NOTICE 10
Pest Control Chemicals
Ms Tucker - asked the Minister for Urban Services
In relation to the exemption list for the use of chemicals to control pests on Territory land:
(1) What is (a) the current status of the list and (b) who manages the list.
(2) How is the list advertised (ie. how would a member of the community become informed that such a list was available).
(3) How can (a) a member of the community get on the list and (b) be assured they are still on the list.
(4) How is the list communicated to workers who are using chemicals.
Mr Smyth - the answer to the member's question is as follows:
(l)(a) A list of sites where the Department of Urban Services has agreed not to use chemicals for pest control adjacent to leasehold lands in the urban area is maintained by the ACT Government.
(l)(b) The list is managed by Canberra Urban Parks and Places within the Department of Urban Services.
(2) This list is not widely advertised, but Canberra Urban Parks and Places liaises with members of the Australian Chemical Trauma Alliance and other groups within the community who are concerned with possible chemical sensitivity from management activities on sites adjacent to their residences.
(3)(a) Members of the community are placed on the list if they express concern with pesticides being sprayed in an area adjacent or close to their residence.
(3)(b) The list is updated regularly by Canberra Urban Parks and Places. Members of the community can be assured that they are still on the list by telephoning Canberra Urban Parks and Places on 6207 2511.
(4) The information on the list of sites is provided to CityScape Services whose field staff are notified by maps and listing of these areas.