Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1996 Week 13 Hansard (5 December) . . Page.. 4558 ..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NO. 331
Gungahlin - Bicycle Paths Map
Ms Follett - asked the Minister for Environment, Land and Planning - Can you provide an up-to-date map of bicycle paths, both existing and planned (with completion dates) for Gungahlin.
Mr Humphries - the answer to the member's question is as follows:
- Yes. Officers of my Department provided to you a pathway plan for Gungahlin showing the existing and proposed paths. The plan only differentiates between minor (1.2m wide) and major paths (1.8m or 2.5m wide).
- As Gungahlin is a development area, there is a need to constantly review the proposed planning and sequencing in accordance with the current economic situation. This applies also for all proposed pathway routes and will lead to future changes of the pathway network. Please take this into account when using the information regarding future paths.
- For footpaths/cycleways to be constructed by a developer under a Deed of Agreement, it is the developers obligation to provide pathways after 50-75% of dwellings are completed within a stage. It is thus impossible to determine an exact completion date.
- The dates shown on the plan for future paths, to be constructed under the Capital Works Program, are subject to approval of funds.
Please also note:
- In the long term it will be necessary to carry out further cycleway/pathway planning in Gungahlin. This will result in a Cycleway/Footpath Master Plan for this area. The timing for the study depends on the availability of funds for our Metropolitan Planning and Land Supply Branch's study program.