Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1995 Week 11 Hansard (14 December) . . Page.. 3143 ..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION
QUESTION NUMBER 130
English as a Second Language Programs
(2) What was this multiplier in the years (a) 1991; (b) 1992; (c) 1993; and (d) 1994.
(3) What is the relationship between (a) the multiplier, (b) the percentage of Non English Speaking Background students in the system and (c) their level of need for ESL.
(4) How will the cuts to the budget in this area affect the multiplier.
MR STEFANIAK - the answer to Ms Tucker's question is:
(1) The multiplier used to determine staffing resources for ESL programs in 1995 was 0.0381 and in 1996 the multiplier will be 0.0361.
(2) The multiplier in each of the years 1991 to 1994 was 0.0381. However, the resources generated by this multiplier were not all allocated to schools. The three year pilot Language for Understanding Across the Curriculum (LUAC) Program was resourced from these points from 1992 to 1995.
(3) The multiplier was devised to reflect the percentage of Non-English Speaking Background students in need of ESL in the system - approximately 4% of the student population. Although the ESL population does fluctuate, the basic level of resourcing remains relatively stable with ESL services always allocated to those in greatest need first. The LUAC program provided teachers, in a "train the trainer" model, with the skills to teach ESL students in their mainstream classes. This program completed its work in 1995 although support will continue through the remaining LUAC staff in 1996.
(4) The completion of the three year pilot LUAC program is reflected in a change to the multiplier.