Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1995 Week 11 Hansard (14 December) . . Page.. 3130 ..
CHIEF MINISTER FOR THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
Question No. 96
ACT Administration Centre
Mr Berry - Asked the Chief Minister upon notice on 22 November 1995 - In relation to the ACT Administration Centre:
1. What is the cost of the lease of the building.
2. When does the lease expire.
3. Which departments or departmental units currently occupy the building and how many staff are accommodated there.
4. How much unused space is there at the moment.
5. Is it a fact that there has been extensive refurbishment; if so, (a) at what cost and (b) for which occupants.
6. Why has a large amount of equipment been left unsecured in the basement when there are fenced areas available.
MRS CARNELL - The answer to the Member's question is as follows:
1. The cost of leasing the ACT Administration Centre is $3,046,589 per annum.
2. The lease expires on 31 December 1996.
3. As at 5 December 1995 the following Agencies occupy the ACT Administration Centre:
. Urban Services - 28 staff
. Attorney General's - 4 staff
. Children's Family and Youth Services - 8 staff
. Sport Recreation and Racing - 3 staff
. Chief Minister's - 173 staff
4. There is 502.8 m2 unused space at the current time, including 377 m2 occupied by the former Assembly Chamber on the Plaza Level. Plans are being developed to utilise these vacant spaces.
6. Some unserviceable or obsolete assets were held in the basement pending proper disposal. Computer equipment was held in this way to enable easy access by the ACT Education Department to inspect and then transfer to their Fyshwick store. This transfer was completed by Monday 4 December 1995. All excess furniture has also been removed. These procedures have been reviewed and in future some equipment will be held in appropriate secure areas.