Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2022 Week 09 Hansard (Thursday, 13 October 2022) . . Page.. 3157 ..
(Question No 925)
Mr Davis asked the Minister for Transport and City Services, upon notice, on 23 September 2022:
(1) Given that a number of constituents are concerned that existing Tuggeranong playgrounds, notably playgrounds in Wanniassa, do not meet community need in quantity and quality, what capacity does the ACT Government have to consider more upgrades to playgrounds around Tuggeranong.
(2) What is the process by Transport Canberra and City Services (TCCS) for deciding which playgrounds to prioritise for upgrades or maintenance.
(3) Would TCCS consider increasing the number of playgrounds in Wanniassa, and improving the quality of the equipment and space.
(4) Would TCCS consider planning and constructing more large scale adventure and destination playgrounds in Tuggeranong, other than in Kambah and Gordon, like those in Taylor, Moncrieff and Throsby.
Mr Steel: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The ACT Play Space Strategy was released in May 2022 and sets the direction for the future of play spaces in the ACT. It guides the forward planning, delivery and management of play spaces ensuring an equitable, inclusive, diverse, safe and engaging mix of play opportunities across Canberra.
(2) Play spaces are prioritised for upgrade utilising recommendations from annual audits along with current demographic, spatial and social information. This process ensures that safety standards are maintained, and public investments are suitably targeted. A preventative inspection and maintenance program is also undertaken at Canberra’s playgrounds to mitigate risk from equipment failure and assess soft-fall levels against safety standards.
(3) A program of minor improvements is underway in Tuggeranong including at Steinfeld Court, Wanniassa. In 2021, Sangster Place and Whiteman Street Wanniassa received minor improvements. In 2020, both Wheeler Crescent and Bassau Close in Wanniassa received minor improvements. There are currently no plans to build additional play spaces in Wanniassa.
(4) The Government has planned six significant playground upgrades across the ACT over the next three years, two of which are in Tuggeranong. As part of this program Gordon (Point Hut Pond) and Chisholm (Alston Street) will receive significant upgrades in consultation with the community. Significant upgrades to the playground at Tuggeranong Town Park are also included in Lake Tuggeranong foreshore project.