Page 2526 - Week 07 - Monday, 15 August 2022
Community consultation on this project will be undertaken in the coming few months following the completion of the feasibility studies and draft concept options.
Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders—children and families advocate
(Question No 823)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Human Rights, upon notice, on 3 June 2022:
(1) What is the expected start date for the new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Families Advocate that was posted on the jobs.act.gov.au website (E1226) on 12 May 2022.
(2) Why has this job listing been removed from the jobs.act.gov.au website despite an application closing date of 13 June 2022.
(3) Can the Minister provide a copy of the official detailed description for this job.
(4) As the ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Young People Commissioner position has been advertised as a short-term contract for up to nine months, what is the expected date by which an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Young People Commissioner will be in place.
(5) Has the co-design process for this office been completed; if so, can the Minister provide the detailed description of this position; if not, when will this process be complete.
Ms Cheyne: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Families Advocate is an independent executive role, within the Justice and Community Safety Directorate, created to provide leadership and advocate for the wellbeing of Indigenous children and young people in the ACT. It is an interim role while a new ongoing statutory office holder role of an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children’s Commissioner for the ACT is designed and established in legislation.
Applications for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Families Advocate closed on 13 June 2022. The process has not yet been finalised by Justice and Community Safety Directorate.
2. I understand that the job listing for this role was taken down from the jobs.act.gov.au website for a short period due to an administrative error, which was rectified. The job was also advertised digitally via the Koori Mail, National Indigenous Times, and on the Pipeline Talent jobs board for the entire period for which applications were sought.
3. I attach a copy of the position description for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Families Advocate. The position description was developed in consultation with the Our Booris, Our Way Implementation Oversight Committee and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elected Body.
4. The Government is committed to establishing a permanent Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children’s Commissioner for the ACT, as recommended by the Our Booris, Our Way Review. The Justice and Community Safety Directorate engaged the Jumbunna Institute for Indigenous Education and Research at UTS to facilitate a