Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2022 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 2 June 2022) . . Page.. 1678 ..
(3) Is there a current shortage of crematoria services in the ACT; if so, what is the current shortfall.
(4) What is the timeframe for development of the Southern Memorial Park.
(5) Is the development of the Southern Memorial Park likely to satisfy any shortfall we have in crematoria in the ACT.
Mr Steel: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The figures provided by ACCA in their National Cremation Capacity Survey 2020 come from industry participation. Exact numbers of cremations in the Territory cannot be confirmed as Norwood Park Crematorium is a privately run business and the government does not have access to data relating to their business. Canberra Memorial Parks operates a single cremator that has capacity to undertake 24 cremations per week.
(2) No. The ACT Government aims to provide adequate services to the people of Canberra. There are a range of factors which determine what level of service provision is required to meet the community’s needs, including individual and family preferences in relation to burial or cremation options.
(3) While cremation capacity exists to accommodate Canberra’s current death rate, there is a shortage in associated services that contribute to providing a full service to our community at one location. Canberra Memorial Parks is currently in the planning process of a Memorial Hall development and is looking at introducing new memorialisation products to their current services to meet the needs to the Canberra community.
(4) Tenders to prepare detailed designs in preparation for Southern Memorial Park Stage 1 construction have been awarded. Southern Memorial Park will become operational when Stage 1 construction is completed.
(5) It is expected that Southern Memorial Park will meet the needs of the Canberra community in relation to crematoria, burials and memorialisation in the future, noting that a crematorium is not proposed in Stage 1 of the project.
Ginninderra electorate—stormwater drains
(Question No 791)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Transport and City Services, upon notice, on 6 May 2022:
(1) How many storm water drains are in the electorate of Ginninderra.
(2) Does the Government keep a log or database on storm water drains that are blocked or obstructed; if so, (a) how many drains in the Ginninderra electorate are blocked or obstructed and in which suburbs are they located in and (b) what is the name of that log or database; if not, why not.
(3) How many storm water drain clearing jobs have been logged since 1 January 2021.