Page 1673 - Week 05 - Thursday, 2 June 2022
Alexander Maconochie Centre—security
(Question No 746)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Corrections, upon notice, on 8 April 2022:
Is there a sterile perimeter (eg a buffer zone around the entire outward facing side of the perimeter fence in which only authorised personnel can enter) around the Alexander Maconochie Centre; if not, why not, and is a sterile perimeter being considered.
Mr Gentleman: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
There is a sterile zone on the inside of the perimeter fence of the Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC), which is only accessible to authorised personnel. The area around the outside of the perimeter fence is not considered sterile but is well lit and unobstructed to allow for detection, patrolling and emergency vehicle response. The area is well sign posted with warnings not to approach the fence.
West Belconnen tip—landfill capping
(Question No 754)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Housing and Suburban Development, upon notice, on 8 April 2022:
(1) On what date will the capping of the old Belconnen landfill commence.
(2) What is the estimated timeline for when the landfill capping will be completed.
(3) If the capping has already begun, when will it conclude.
(4) Is the uncapped landfill delaying the land release of nearby blocks; if so, why is it delaying the release.
(5) Has section 60 in Strathnairn been released for sale by the Government; if so, have all blocks been released; if not, why not, and when will they be released.
(6) Has section 57 in Strathnairn been released for sale by the Government; if so, have all blocks been released; if not, why not, and when will they be released.
(7) Did the Government inform developers working in the Ginninderry area that the landfill site capping would impact land release timeframes; if so, when were developers informed.
(8) What compensation are buyers entitled to, from the developer or the Government, for the delay in the land release in case the buyers suffer financial harm.
Ms Berry: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) I am advised by Transport Canberra and City Services that the current program sees construction of the capping on the landfill commencing in August 2022. This date is dependent on approval of the capping design by the independent auditor.