Page 1539 - Week 05 - Thursday, 2 June 2022
We hereby petition the Members of the Legislative Assembly for the Australian Capital Territory to declare a moratorium on Kangaroo culling and conduct an independent review.
Pursuant to standing order 99A, the petition, having more than 500 signatories, was referred to the Standing Committee on Environment, Climate Change and Biodiversity.
The Clerk having announced that the terms of the petitions would be recorded in Hansard and referred to the appropriate ministers for response pursuant to standing order 100, the petitions were received.
The following response to a petition has been lodged:
Advertising—public spaces and transport—petition 35-21
By Mr Steel, Minister for Transport and City Services, dated 31 May 2022, in response to a petition lodged by Ms Clay on 22 March 2022 concerning public space advertising.
The response read as follows:
Dear Mr Duncan
Thank you for your letter of 22 March 2022 regarding petition 35-21, lodged by Ms Jo Clay MLA. The petition seeks for the ACT Government to make and keep Canberra ad free – specifically to:
• direct Transport Canberra and Access Canberra to immediately remove all existing ‘illegal’ advertisements
• introduce specific offences for roadside advertising using parked vehicles
• remove public transport advertisements that block passengers’ ability to see outside
• review and update the rules for what advertising content is allowed on public transport and apply these rules to bus and tram shelters as well as vehicles
• end bus shelter ads by committing to not renewing the Adshel contract. The petitioners also requested that the Assembly undertake consultation on community support for replacing all public transport advertisements with locally commissioned artwork.
In Australia, advertising standards, including those related to outdoor advertising, are governed by a system of industry self-regulation. This is administered by the Australian Association of National Advertisers (AANA) and is underpinned by a set of voluntary codes that include the AANA Code of Ethics.