Page 55 - Week 01 - Tuesday, 8 February 2022
At its meeting on 7 December 2021 the committee decided to extend the deadline for submissions from 7 February 2022 to close of business, 8 April 2022. A media release to this effect was issued on 16 December 2021. The committee has emailed a wide range of stakeholders directly, inviting them to make a submission to the inquiry. The committee will conduct an online survey for the inquiry into memorialisation through public commemoration.
Environment, Climate Change and Biodiversity—Standing Committee
Statement by chair
DR PATERSON (Murrumbidgee) (12.00): Pursuant to standing order 246A, I wish to make a statement on behalf of the Standing Committee on Environment, Climate Change and Biodiversity. At its private meeting on 14 December 2021 the committee resolved to conduct an inquiry into environmental volunteerism in the ACT. At that meeting the committee agreed to the following terms of reference for the inquiry:
The Standing Committee … will inquire into and report on matters relating to environmental volunteerism in the … ACT, with particular reference to:
1. the type and nature of volunteerism in the environment sector in the ACT and the existing or potential benefits and challenges they bring to Canberra’s:
• biodiversity conservation and enhancement;
• parks and conservation;
• environmental protection;
• climate resilience;
• wildlife protection;
• landcare; …
2. opportunities to improve environmental volunteerism in the ACT, including in encouraging the involvement of young people and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and to improve community stewardship;
3. managing relationships between volunteers and their organisations, the ACT Government and the public;
4. current policy or regulatory settings that facilitate and/or impede the work and the involvement of volunteers and volunteer organisations in the ACT; and
5. other relevant matters.
The committee will report to the Assembly at a time to be determined. The committee called for public submissions on 15 December 2021, with a closing date of 10 March 2022. The committee intends to hold public hearings from March 2022.
Health and Community Wellbeing—Standing Committee
Statement by chair
MR DAVIS (Brindabella) (12.02): Pursuant to standing order 246A, I wish to make a statement on behalf of the Standing Committee on Health and Community Wellbeing