Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2022 Week 01 Hansard (Thursday, 10 February 2022) . . Page.. 314 ..
Development—Hawker tennis centre
(Question No 440)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 17 September 2021:
(1) When did the Hawker Tennis Courts cease being used.
(2) Are there any current development applications for the block that Hawker Tennis courts is built on; if so, when was the application lodged.
(3) Who are the current owners of this block.
(4) Who is the current developer of this block.
(5) Does the ACT Government have any plans to buy this land; if so, for what purpose.
(6) If the ACT Government already owns the land, when did they come into ownership of the land.
(7) Does the ACT Government have any plans to develop this block in any way; if so, for what purpose.
(8) If there are no formal plans, have there been discussions about what to do with this land; if so, what was the nature of these discussions.
(9) Has the ACT Government issued any kind of order or request to those responsible for the land to clean the place and properly secure it; if so, when were these orders issued; if not, why not.
(10) Did ACT Labor, during the 2020 ACT election, commit to upgrading the Hawker District Playing Fields; if so, will this upgrade include any kind of development of the Hawker Tennis Courts.
Mr Gentleman: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) A non-government entity operated the tennis facility from 1977 to 2010. As this was a privately operated venture the ACT Government does not have any records of when it ceased operation.
(2) DA 201834626 was lodged 19 December 2018 and was approved subject to conditions on 4 August 2019. The development application proposed demolition of existing buildings and tennis courts, construction of a new single storey childcare centre, landscaping and associated works, and variation to the Crown lease purpose clause to permit “community use” limited to “childcare”.
(3) The lessees of Block 9 Section 3 Hawker are:
a. Pelle Projects Pty Ltd (Director Dominic Pelle); and
b. Regional Investment Pty Ltd (Director John Krnc).