Page 225 - Week 01 - Thursday, 10 February 2022
This change, again, is a follow-on from a 246A statement that I made in the Assembly on Tuesday. It seeks to make a change to resolution to 5AA to insert (7)(c). This is a sensible change to 5AA. It has been worked through the admin and procedure committee. I am looking for confirmation and change today.
Question resolved in the affirmative.
Estimates 2022-2023—Select Committee
MS LAWDER (Brindabella) (11.25): I move:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 2022-2023 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2022-2023, the Appropriation (Office of the Legislative Assembly) Bill 2022-2023 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 2022-2023 Budget and prepare a report to the Assembly;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) one Member to be nominated by the Greens; and
to be notified in writing to the Speaker within two hours of this motion passing;
(3) an Opposition Member shall be elected chair of the Committee by the Committee;
(4) funds be provided by the Assembly to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the Committee to facilitate the analysis of the Budget and the preparation of the report of the Committee;
(5) the Committee is to report by Friday, 29 July 2022;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the Committee has completed its inquiry, the Committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation; and
(7) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
This is a standard motion that has been brought forward in this place for many years, in the time that I have been here—except in more recent COVID times—to establish a select committee on estimates to examine the subsequent financial year’s budget papers. We propose that the committee be made up of five members: two from the opposition, two from the government, and one member from the Greens. The motion follows on from a review of the committee process undertaken by admin and procedure last year.