Page 158 - Week 01 - Wednesday, 9 February 2022

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video

We take an evidence-based approach to managing our road traffic network. We are informed through a number of different means—our in-house engineers, traffic consultants, modelling both microscopic and mesoscopic, and strategic traffic modelling that will be undertaken in Gungahlin—to help inform future investments, because those investments should be evidence based when we are using public money.

MR HANSON: Minister, when will your government actually fix this dangerous intersection?

MR STEEL: We have already made improvements, and I refer the member to my previous answer.

Planning—sustainability and growth

MR PETTERSSON: My question is to the Minister for Planning and Land Management. Minister, how is the government, through planning, delivering a sustainable and livable Canberra?

MR GENTLEMAN: I thank Mr Pettersson for the question. The government is delivering a sustainable and livable city by maximising our social and natural assets, reducing emissions and providing a range of housing choices. We are carefully balancing our need to build homes for all Canberrans and to protect our environment. Protecting the natural bushland around Canberra is critical to a sustainable and livable Canberra. It enables people to live healthy lifestyles and is home to protected flora and fauna. Our planning strategy is designed to prevent encroachment into this bushland. We do not want endless urban sprawl, which leads to disconnected communities, congestion and higher emissions, as we have seen in other jurisdictions.

Mr Parton interjecting—

Mr Hanson interjecting—

MADAM SPEAKER: Members, there is no need for the two of you to make up for the number who are not in the room at the moment.

MR GENTLEMAN: Concentrating 70 per cent of our development in our town and group centres, along major transport corridors, means that we can reduce emissions and have people living close to jobs, shops, services and public transport. The remaining 30 per cent of our development is planned for carefully chosen greenfields locations. Canberrans have told us that they want a range of different housing options so that they can find a home that suits their stage of life. Greenfields development is an important part of providing housing choices and contributes to the ACT being an attractive place to live. Before choosing a greenfields site, we look at the environmental options, transport infrastructure and planning issues. We want to make sure that people living in our newest communities can still enjoy easy access to jobs, shops and services even while those areas are under development.

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video