Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 13 Hansard (Thursday, 2 December 2021) . . Page.. 4180 ..
Roads—wildlife(Question No 553)
Ms Clay asked the Minister for Transport and City Services, upon notice, on 3 December 2021:
(1) When will the Government’s new policy on wildlife signage be ready.
(2) What is the Government’s policy on removing animal carcasses from the road and/or roadside.
Mr Steel: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The policy is expected to be completed by the end of this financial year by TCCS in consultation with EPSDD.
(2) The ACT Parks and Conservation Service undertake regular checks of major roads and also attends to carcasses that are a nuisance, or traffic hazard, as soon as possible after they are reported.
The Urban Wildlife Manual is available online and describes the policy for the collection of dead animals, including health issues associated with dead animals: https://www.environment.act.gov.au/__data/assets/word_doc/0007/1182661/Urban-Wildlife-Manual-2016-Revision.doc
Under part 4.1 – the Policy for the collection of dead animals states:
• All marsupials are to be attended to as soon as possible, so as pouches can be checked for young and dealt with accordingly.
• Where animals are in suburban areas they should be removed to the nearest reserve land and placed well away from public areas.
• The marking of animals with dye or paint and leaving them on roadsides is not an accepted practice.
• Lime should not be used on carcasses except in situations where other removal methods are not practical.
• PCS is responsible for the collection of all dead native animals, feral animals and stock (e.g. cows, sheep, horses etc) on public land and roadsides. This does not include dogs or cats which are collected by Domestic Animal Services.
Environment—water quality(Question No 557)
Ms Lawder asked the Minister for Water, Energy and Emissions Reduction, upon notice, on 3 December 2021 (redirected to the Minister for Transport and City Services):
(1) Why isn’t testing before and after sediment removal performed as well as downstream testing, for all ponds when cleaned.