Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 12 Hansard (Thursday, 25 November 2021) . . Page.. 3780 ..
RSPCA—relocation(Question No 475)
Ms Lee asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 8 October 2021 (redirected to the Minister for Transport and City Services):
(1) Were other sites in the ACT considered as part of the proposed relocation of the RSPCA to Pialligo (Duntroon Horse Paddocks); if so, can the Minister provide a list of these other proposed sites and the reasons for not pursuing these alternate sites; if not, why not.
(2) Is the Government aware that it proposes to build the facility in a prescribed airspace of the Canberra Airport and a designated emergency landing area for light aircraft.
(3) Has consultation been conducted with the Canberra Airport Group, Civil Aviation Safety Authority and Aeroclubs using the runway for schooling exercises; if so, can the Minister provide any advice received; if not, why not.
(4) Is the Government aware that the proposed site is only 300 metres from the Duntroon Military Hospital.
(5) Has the Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA) and the Royal Military College (RMC) been consulted in relation to the proposed relocation of the RSPCA to Pialligo (Duntroon Horse Paddocks); if so, can the Minister provide any advice received; if not, why not?
(6) Has the Government received advice about the history of emergency landings from light aircraft planes travelling to and from Canberra Airport occurring within the Duntroon Horse Paddocks and/or the impact the proposed relocation may have on emergency landings; if so, can the Minister provide the advice received.
(7) What is the Government doing to protect valuable grazing land and Canberra's unique equestrian community that makes up a large part of the sport and recreational community, and supports local businesses (eg, stockfeed stores, vets, equine therapists, riding instructors, etc).
(8) Is the RSPCA aware of the noise levels at Duntroon, which includes firework-style noise from ADFA ceremonial parades and practices, the Majura training area (Army), the Canberra pistol club, light aircraft plane throttle from take-off/landing and frequent helicopter flight pass, and the impact this might have on both staff and animals.
(9) How is the Government planning to protect our horses and our safety from the increased public presence if the proposal goes ahead.
(10) Are there plans to widen roads and create a safety entry/exit to Addison Road and the proposed facility while maintaining easy access to the paddocks, sporting fields and for fire management; if so, what is the status of those plans.
(11) Is the Government aware that Duntroon has an active Landcare Group and received a Landcare award in 1999.