Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 08 Hansard (Thursday, 5 August 2021) . . Page.. 2534 ..
to income replacement benefits. Of the three matters in 2020, two applicants were initially legally represented. Of the matters listed to date by the ACAT in 2021, all applicants have legal representation. The MAI Commission understands MAI insurers are legally represented before the ACAT.
Alexander Maconochie Centre—security(Question No 361)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Corrections, upon notice, on 25 June 2021:
(1) Does the ACT Government have any plans to install barbed wire fencing around the Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC); if not, why not.
(2) For each year the past 5 years, how many detainees and/or remandees have successfully escaped from the AMC.
Mr Gentleman: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC) secure perimeter fence construction is consistent with Australian standards, however razor wire coils have been substituted with advanced electronic detection systems. This is consistent with the philosophy and spirit of the ‘Healthy Prison’ concept and Human Rights Act 2004.
(2) In September 2016, two detainees escaped from the AMC. There have been no other incidents of escapes from the AMC however, on 9 July 2021 a detainee did escape from ACT Corrections custody during a medical escort.
Questions without notice taken on notice
Ms Stephen-Smith (in reply to a supplementary question by Ms Castley on Wednesday, 2 June 2021):
Canberra Health Services (CHS) provides a consistent number of practice placements for University of Canberra (UC) occupational therapy students. The placements occur across several divisions at CHS, including Rehabilitation, Aged and Community Care; Allied Health; and Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol and Drug Services. Our practice placements are almost exclusively offered to UC with only one to two placements per year offered to Charles Sturt University (CSU) and the Australian Catholic University. The length of a practice placement varies but is usually an eight week block for each student.
2021 (approximate data for the year to date)
• 22 clinical practice placements provided = 176 weeks of placement experience
• 2 project placements provided = 18 weeks of placement experience