Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 08 Hansard (Thursday, 5 August 2021) . . Page.. 2501 ..
• So Much Sadness in Our Lives – Independent inquiry into the treatment in custody of Steven Freeman - Moss Review / by Independent Reviewer, Mr Phillip Moss AM dated 7 November 2016 – see Government response February 2018 at: https://www.parliament.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/1185002/Moss-Review-Annual-report.pdf
• Royal Commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody (RCADIC) 1991 / by James Muirhead (Chair)
• Pathways to Justice - Inquiry into the Incarceration Rate of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (tabled 28 March 2018) / ALRC Report
The ACT Government is actively engaging with the community with a view to identifying outstanding recommendations and other initiatives that could help reduce the overrepresentation of Aboriginal people in the ACT justice system.
(2) The Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody 1991 made 339 recommendations in relation to 99 Aboriginal deaths in the custody of prison, police or juvenile detention centres. Those deaths occurred between 1 January 1980 and 31 May 1989.
A federal government review by Deloitte Access Economic in 2018 is the most recent formal review of the implementation of recommendations of the Royal Commission. That review found that, across Australia, 64% of recommendations had been fully implemented in all relevant jurisdictions, 14% had been mostly implemented, 16% had been partly implemented and 6% had not been implemented at all.
Actions taken by the ACT Government that address recommendations made by the Royal Commission include:
• establishing the ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elected Body in 2008, the only forum of its kind in Australia
• signing the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Justice Agreement in 2015
• signing the National Partnership Agreement on July 1, 2019
• signing the National Agreement on Closing the Gap in July 2020
• signing the ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Agreement 2019-2028 including a Justice Action Plan
• implementing the Galambany Court as part of the ACT Magistrates Court jurisdiction since 2004
• instating the Warrumbul Court in the Children’s Court in 2018
• entering into the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Justice Partnership, which seeks to reduce Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander over-representation in the ACT justice system, as both victims and offender
• establishing an Inspector of ACT Corrective Services in 2018.
Alexander Maconochie Centre—single-use plastics(Question No 339)
Mrs Kikkert asked the Minister for Corrections, upon notice, on 25 June 2021:
(1) Does the ACT Government have any plans to ban single-use plastics at the Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC) in the ACT i.e. plastic cutlery, cups and straws; if not, why not.