Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Sittings . . . . PDF . . . . Video

Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 08 Hansard (Wednesday, 4 August 2021) . . Page.. 2283 ..


approach to infrastructure investment to support and sustain these critical services for our community.

The community has a great deal of admiration for our police officers and emergency services and corrections staff. For them to keep doing such a wonderful job, it is important that the government continues to invest wisely so that when the next emergency hits, we are well placed to protect and support the members of our community. The government will continue to invest in the critical infrastructure to protect the community.

The Plan is playing an important role in the growth and development of our city. The Infrastructure Plan is, importantly, linked with the ACT Planning Strategy and indicative land release program that I am responsible for. The Infrastructure Plan is an integral part of delivering on the vision and directions of the ACT Planning Strategy. Conversely, planning is essential in informing and developing a comprehensive and integrated infrastructure plan for the city.

In particular, the strategy supports sustainable urban growth by working towards delivering up to 70 per cent of new housing within Canberra’s existing urban footprint. The remaining 30 per cent of new housing is being delivered through greenfield development, with the Molonglo Valley our main greenfield front at present.

As well as providing homes for our growing population, housing infrastructure investment is a cornerstone of job creation. Delivering affordable housing is a particular focus of the housing strategy.

Our environment is also part of the Infrastructure Plan and enormously important to this city, and to Canberrans and their wellbeing. The Molonglo River Park, which winds its way from downstream of Scrivener Dam to where the Molonglo River meets the Murrumbidgee, is a defining natural feature of the new Molonglo Valley development. This government is committed to protecting the river corridor. As part of this, we are progressively investing in endangered species habitat restoration and in new recreational facilities for residents and visitors.

The ACT Infrastructure Plan provides a contemporary and sustainable approach to the growth of our city and the region.

MS BERRY (Ginninderra—Deputy Chief Minister, Minister for Early Childhood Development, Minister for Education and Youth Affairs, Minister for Housing and Suburban Development, Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence, Minister for Sport and Recreation and Minister for Women) (12.04): I am happy to speak today on the government’s infrastructure progress and the priorities in my portfolio responsibilities.

I have recently spoken in this place about the extensive capital works program for public schools, so members will be aware that as the city grows, the government is investing to grow our public school system.


Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Sittings . . . . PDF . . . . Video