Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 06 Hansard (Thursday, 3 June 2021) . . Page.. 1687 ..
In introducing the bill, I would like to reflect on the substantial human impact that has occurred as a result of the loose-fill asbestos issue in the ACT. In introducing the original scheme in 2014, and these amendments today, the ACT government has aimed to respond to the community safety issues faced and provide a pathway to affected home owners. I do know that this has been a difficult journey for the more than 1,000 home owners affected, and I want to publicly acknowledge that this has been a very challenging time for them. I commend the bill to the Assembly.
Debate (on motion by Mr Parton) adjourned to the next sitting.
Estimates 2021-2022—Select Committee
MR HANSON (Murrumbidgee) (11.14): I move:
That, notwithstanding the provisions of the resolution of the Assembly on 2 December 2020, as amended 30 March 2021, establishing the general purpose standing committees, that:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 2021-2022 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2021-2022, the Appropriation (Office of the Legislative Assembly) Bill 2021-2022 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 2021-2022 Budget and prepare a report to the Assembly;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) one Member to be nominated by the Government;
(b) one Member to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) one Member to be nominated by the ACT Greens;
(3) members of the Committee are to be notified in writing to the Speaker within two hours of this motion passing; an Opposition Member shall be elected chair of Committee by the Committee;
(4) funds be provided by the Assembly to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the Committee to facilitate the analysis of the Budget and the preparation of the report by the Committee;
(5) the Committee is to report by Tuesday, 7 October 2021;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the Committee has completed its inquiry, the Committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation;
(7) for the purpose of taking evidence the following will constitute a quorum: (a) two members of the Committee; or (b) one member of the Committee and any other non-executive Member of the Assembly;
(8) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders; and