Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 13 May 2021) . . Page.. 1533 ..
(2) Can the Minister provide the next most detailed information, by area, on the anticipated tree canopy cover by 2045, if the anticipated tree canopy cover per suburb is not available.
(3) What resources are needed, per suburb, to reach 30 percent tree canopy cover by 2045.
(4) Can the Minister provide the next most detailed data possible for the resourcing needs to reach tree canopy cover by 2045, if suburbs are not available.
Mr Steel: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Yes, modelling undertaking by the CSIRO in 2019 using the i-Tree software estimates that approximately 450,000 trees will need to be planted on public land by 2045 to achieve the 30 percent canopy cover target.
Yes, Transport Canberra and City Services (TCCS) has estimated the per-tree cost for the establishment of trees on public land.
In relation to the anticipated 2045 tree canopy cover by suburb, the CSIRO report did not model where trees could or should be located to meet the canopy cover target. While current canopy cover data shows coverage at the suburb level, data is not available to determine the anticipated tree canopy cover by 2045 for each suburb. Forecast modelling at the suburb level to identify planting opportunities and therefore canopy cover is difficult due to the detailed site assessment requirements for each new planting. Such forecast modelling would require consideration of:
• land use planning and policy (including custodianship).
• location of utility services.
• existing canopy.
• surface permeability.
• climate variables (canopy growth and loss).
• species variability.
• lifespan of existing trees.
• public requests.
• environmental and recreation considerations (e.g. native grassland sites or sportsgrounds).
Detailed site assessments for planting opportunities are currently undertaken in a progressive manner in the lead up to seasonal planting programs.
(2) As outlined in the response above, detailed information on anticipated tree canopy cover by 2045 for each suburb is not available. The 2045 tree canopy coverage has been modelled for the entire urban area of the ACT.
(3) Resources required to reach the 30 percent tree canopy cover target across Canberra by 2045 will be calculated across the complete urban area. As outlined in the Urban Forest Strategy, achieving the target will require a range of actions with varying resource requirements. These will be determined and sought through future budget processes.
(4) Resourcing requirements to work towards the 30 percent tree canopy cover target are being developed in accordance with the actions in the Urban Forest Strategy.