Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2021 Week 04 Hansard (Tuesday, 20 April 2021) . . Page.. 800 ..
• Ganellen plans to build a drive-through major fast food chain outlet (McDonalds noted in plans), at the site of the existing Chisholm Family Tavern and public toilets.
• The two previous petitions submitted to the Assembly in July 2019 and August 2020 opposing this development.
• Ganellen has had 2 DA refused and recently through an ACAT appeal received a conditional approval—conditional on the sale of public toilets. And Government decision not to sell public toilets.
• Media articles indicate that Ganellen will seek to have this decision overturned and have issued notice for the eviction of the Tavern operators.
• Community interest in future development for Chisholm Shops, and its opposition to this proposal that does not add value to the existing businesses or amenity of the area, rather the community consider it to be detrimental to local businesses and social good.
• Community disappointment that rather than allow a viable existing or new tenant to continue to operate while alternatives are sought, that Ganellen would allow the space to become unused and potentially fall into a state of disrepair.
• The community’s interest in future developments in Chisholm Village Shopping Centre and the strong resistance to the proposed DAs to demolish the Tavern and build a drive through [McDonalds].
2. Calls on the government to recognise and understand continued community concerns surrounding this proposed development at Chisholm Village by Ganellen.
Pursuant to standing order 99A, the petitions were referred to the Standing Committee on Planning, Transport and City Services.
The Clerk having announced that the terms of the petitions would be recorded in Hansard and referred to the appropriate ministers for response pursuant to standing order 100, the petitions were received.
Motion to take note of petitions
MADAM SPEAKER: Pursuant to standing order 98A, I propose the question:
That the petitions so lodged be noted.
Yerrabi electorate—Yerrabi Pond—petition 5-21
MR PETTERSSON (Yerrabi) (10.06): I want to thank John and Kay Beagle for their hard work in bringing this petition together, as well as Darron Marks, who was vitally involved as well. They have diligently gone out amongst the community and gathered these signatures.
These are only the e-petition signatures. We are still gathering and collecting the paper copies. They will be presented later this week, and I look forward to all members engaging on the Yerrabi Pond motion later this week.