Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2019 Week 11 Hansard (Thursday, 26 September 2019) . . Page.. 4051 ..
Public housing—Kaleen(Question No 2664—revised)
Mr Milligan asked the Minister for Housing and Suburban Development, upon notice, on 23 August 2019:
(1) What is the expected completion date for the construction project of the public housing unit development (block 28, section 117) on Baldwin Drive, Kaleen.
(2) Can the Minister explain the purpose of the project and who its intended residents are.
(3) What is the expected date that residents will be moving in to the unit complex.
(4) Can the Minister detail why this location was chosen for this project.
(5) Can the Minister detail what benefits this project will deliver for Kaleen and the local community.
Ms Berry: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. The project was completed in March 2019.
2. Housing ACT commissioned the development of 33 Class C two- and three-bedroom units and a further 33 dwellings to the affordable rental market, possibly targeting ageing persons and people living with disability. This will deliver the site as a mixed-tenure complex which is consistent with the ACT Government’s commitment to building an inclusive city.
The purpose of this project was to develop half of the site for public housing principally suitable for older public housing tenants. This will allow older people to downsize and to move into homes that are more suitable for their needs, easier to manage and more efficient and cheaper to run. The other half was developed as an affordable housing model which has been integrated throughout the complex.
3. Public housing tenants have already started to take up residency and will continue to move in over the coming months.
The Housing ACT team are continuing to work through the Housing Register to identify those who would benefit from a Class C home in a supported environment. This process involves working on a one-on-one basis with each client, their families and supports to facilitate these conversations. A public tender has also been released seeking the engagement of a community housing provider that will manage the affordable housing model for the remaining units.
4. Housing ACT is the owner of the land at 110 Baldwin Drive, Kaleen which has a total land area of 16,315 m2. A Territory Plan Variation was approved to change the zoning from Community Facility Land to RZ5-High Density Residential zoning, allowing for flexible accommodation to meet the needs of public housing tenants, including providing for housing for older tenants or tenants living with a disability.
Kaleen housing stock is predominantly made up of detached dwellings and 6% public housing. This meant that older housing tenant’s would have to relocate elsewhere if