Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 10 Hansard (Thursday, 20 September 2018) . . Page.. 3982 ..
(2) Izzy was euthanised on animal welfare grounds.
(3) An independent review of the Izzy case has found that all DAS protocols were adhered to and all persons involved in this matter acted in a manner compliant with their legal obligations.
(4) The owner was advised of the findings of the independent report on 2 August 2018.
Domestic animal services—dogs(Question No 1577)
Ms Lawder asked the Minister for Transport and City Services, upon notice, on 3 August 2018:
(1) Who or what is the “third party” that is conducting the inquiry into the death of the dog “Izzy” that was euthanised at the direction of Domestic Animal Services on or about 11 June 2018.
(2) Who (a) selected the “third party” and (b) is the “third party” independent of.
(3) What are the terms of reference for the inquiry.
(4) Is a report required.
(5) When is the report due.
(6) Who will the report be given to.
(7) Will the report be (a) made public and (b) given to the owner of “Izzy”.
(8) If the “third party” is another arm of one of the Minister’s Directorates why was the Minister unable to comment on the matter at the Estimates hearing.
Ms Fitzharris: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) An independent review of the investigation into the circumstances surrounding the euthanasia of Izzy was undertaken by Ashurst Australia, a leading legal firm, and was led by Ms Barbara Deegan.
(2) (a) The Professional Standards Unit, within the Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate, ACT Government. (b) The third party was independent of the ACT Government.
(3) The terms of Reference were to investigate the conduct of DAS in relation to a dog ‘Izzy’, including whether any person involved in the incident may have engaged in misconduct.
(5) The report was finalised on 10 July 2018.