Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 04 Hansard (Thursday, 12 April 2018) . . Page.. 1366 ..
2. The merits of standard contracts or statutory requirements in contracts covering build quality.
3. Industry skills accreditation and ongoing professional development including:
(a) the breadth of the occupational licensing regime in the ACT; and
(b) the suitability of ongoing skills education and practices within the industry.
4. Processes and practices for the identification and rectification of defects including:
(a) current mechanisms available for defect identification and redress;
(b) the effectiveness of those mechanisms to ensure rectification in instances where standards have not been met;
(c) the adequacy and accessibility of those mechanisms especially for individuals or body corporates; and
(d) the effectiveness of efforts to address “phoenixing”—the transfer of assets from an indebted building company to a new one to avoid paying its liabilities.
5. The cost effectiveness of current building compliance and defect rectification practices for industry, government, individuals or body corporates and the potential for the introduction of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
6. The role of Access Canberra.
7. The regulatory setting or practices in other jurisdictions that could inform consideration of any of the above.
8. Personal experiences that could inform consideration of any of the above.
9. Any other relevant matter.
The committee discussed the inquiry that the Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal has begun on engagement with development application processes in the ACT. We believe that our respective inquiries will not conflict but may usefully complement each other.
The committee will today call for public submissions. The committee has also drafted a discussion paper which the committee hopes will assist submitters in understanding the existing regulatory framework and some of the issues that they may wish to examine. I would like to thank Ms Orr, as a member of the committee, for her role in drafting that paper, although I will be signing it and taking all the credit, of course! I present the following paper:
Inquiry into the quality of recently constructed buildings in the ACT—Discussion paper, dated 9 April 2018.
MS ORR (Yerrabi) (12.10), by leave: I am very pleased that Canberrans will be able to have their say about building quality in our city. During my time as a member for