Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 5 May 2011) . . Page.. 1995 ..
The Children and Young People Act 2008 sets out strict conditions governing the use of Therapeutic Protection. To this end, a Draft Therapeutic Service Model has been developed by the Department which outlines the expectations about how Therapeutic Protection will be administered in the ACT. The evidence base for the model has been drawn from trauma and attachment research. The Department is currently working to finalise this draft model with the relevant experts.
The Therapeutic Protection facility will be available for use following the finalisation of the service model, the identification of a suitable entity to operate the facility (through a tender process) and the essential training of staff. The Department anticipates the facility could be operational by the end of 2011, however, this will be dependent on a suitable entity being identified through a procurement process
Youth—housing assistance(Question No 1611)
Ms Hunter asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice, on 7 April 2011:
(1) Given that in 2011 (a) the ACT Government will establish a new Foyer-like model to the ACT, assisting young people who are homeless to stabilise their lives and transition to independence, (b) that a holistic approach is used, offering access to affordable housing, support, education, training, and job opportunities and (c) that the timeframes included in the Social Housing and Homelessness Concept Paper for the Foyer Model outline that the implementation phase should have begun on 1 February through to 30 June 2011, why has there been a delay in the implementation of the Foyer Model.
(2) Has the building been sourced.
(3) Where is the building located.
(4) Have organisations who have submitted tenders been notified of the delays and given a revised and accurate timeframe.
(5) Can the Minister provide an accurate timeline for the implementation of the Foyer Model.
Ms Burch: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1) The tender process for the Youth Integrated Education and Accommodation Program closed on 1 February 2011. The program has been delayed because wet weather impacted on the construction of the accommodation complex.
The Youth Integrated Education and Accommodation Program is expected to be operational within the timeframe specified in the Youth Foyer Proposed Model Paper.
2) 15 Units across two blocks have been identified as the site for the Youth Integrated Education and Accommodation Service (Youth Foyer) in the new housing development located at Block 1 Section 13 Braddon.