Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 03 Hansard (Thursday, 31 March 2011) . . Page.. 1235 ..
• To provide the Minister with direct and well informed advice on matters relating to young people.
• To ensure that the diversity of young people’s experiences and circumstances is reflected in advice to government.
• To consult widely with young people in the ACT.
• To attend Council meetings, training and development sessions and other relevant activities.
4) The Minister seeks cabinet’s endorsement of the Youth Advisory Council’s appointed members. These appointments are non-statutory appointments. The Council members are required to adhere to the Public Sector Management Act 2004 as part of their voluntary participation on the Youth Advisory Council.
5) The Youth Advisory Council is covered under the Office for Children, Youth and Family Support Public and Products Liability, ACT Insurance Authority (ACTIA).
6) In 2008, 2009 and 2010, the Youth Advisory Council members have participated a variety of training including:
• 2 September 2008 - Submission Writing Training;
• 14 November 2009 - Teambuilding Training;
• 28 November 2009 - Media Training;
• 15 December 2009 - Conflict Resolution Training;
• 13 November 2010 – Teambuilding training;
• 16 February 2011 - Media Training; and
• Boards and Committees training to be conducted in the near future.
7) The Youth Advisory Council meets on the first Tuesday of each month, for a two-hour meeting at 11 Moore Street.
The Youth Advisory Council also conducted Community Open meetings on the following dates:
• Youth in the City Youth Centre on 11 November 2008;
• Gungahlin Youth Centre on 7 July 2009;
• Mura Lanyon Youth Centre on 10 November 2009; and
• Canberra College on 3 August 2010.
8) Co-chairs are remunerated as per Remuneration Tribunal Determination 12, the amount of $430, per meeting, per person. All other members receive a Community Engagement payment of $50 per meeting.
9) The Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services provides Secretariat support for the Council.
(10) The Youth Advisory Council have an annual budget of $30,000, for remuneration payments, meeting expenses, training costs, community forums and consultation activities. Secretariat support is provided by an ASO 5, at .5 salary and a SOG C at .2 salary.