Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 02 Hansard (Thursday, 10 March 2011) . . Page.. 694 ..
forthcoming evidence bills which will complete the evidence reform process in the ACT. As these bills will be subject to consultation, stakeholders in the justice system will have the opportunity to examine the operation of the privilege in the territory.
Finally, Mr Speaker, the bill does not contain amendments to the model evidence law which were endorsed by attorneys-general in 2010. Again, these amendments have not yet been adopted by the commonwealth. Therefore, it is proposed to include the amendments in the forthcoming evidence bill and allow appropriate consultation on the issues involved with the amendments.
The ACT has been a strong advocate and partner in relation to the efforts of the commonwealth and other Australian jurisdictions in achieving uniformity of evidence law Australia-wide. The bill which I present here today represents the government’s firm commitment to the principle of uniform evidence law. It also underlines our commitment to implementing fully the responsibilities of ACT self-governance. I commend the bill to the Assembly.
Debate (on motion by Mrs Dunne) adjourned to the next sitting.
Estimates 2011-2012—Select Committee
MR SMYTH (Brindabella) (10.12): I move:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 2011-12 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2011-2012 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 2011-2012 Budget and prepare a report to the Parliament;
(2) the Committee be composed of:
(a) one member to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) two Members to be nominated by the Greens;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4 pm today;
(3) an Opposition Member shall be elected chair of the Committee by the Committee;
(4) funds be provided by the Parliament to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the Committee to facilitate the analysis of the Budget and the preparation of the report of the Committee;
(5) the Committee is to report by 21 June 2011;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the Committee has completed its inquiry, the Committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the