Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 01 Hansard (Thursday, 17 February 2011) . . Page.. 393 ..
(6) The effectiveness of this advertising is difficult to measure, however, the public has been well informed about the commencement of new initiatives reflected in their strong early adoption of new services.
Government—advertising(Question Nos 1317 and 1320)
Mr Seselja asked the Attorney-General and the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 8 December 2010:
(1) What advertising has been undertaken in the Minister’s portfolio in 2010-11 to date and what is the purpose of the advertising.
(2) What is the cost of the advertising referred to in part (1).
(3) What proportion of the 2010-11 advertising budget does this expenditure represent.
(4) What form of advertising has been used.
(5) Why has this form of advertising been used.
(6) How effective has this advertising been.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The Department of Justice and Community Services (JACS) (including Emergency Services Agency and Statutory Offices) has undertaken advertising for the following reasons:
• informing the public of legislative changes;
• providing general and specific safety information;
• advising of specific reviews and requesting comments;
• public notices;
• advising of changes to registered officers; and
• listing updates in directories.
(2) The cost of advertising to JACS in my portfolios for this current financial year until early December 2010 is approximately $241,000.00
(3) I am unable to accurately answer this question as a number of agencies within JACS do not manage a formal advertising budget.
(4) JACS has undertaken advertising in the following forms:
• print advertising in local and interstate newspapers and industry magazines;
• electronic; and
• radio and television.
(5) The media utilised is selected on the basis of best fit for purpose ie, information is to be provided to the widest possible audience, or directed to a specific audience ie, where information is provided through an industry publication.