Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 07 Hansard (Thursday, 1 July 2010) . . Page.. 3299 ..
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) ACT Corrective Services does not have a definition of a critical incident. For the purpose of this Question on Notice, ACTCS has defined a critical incident as one involving:
• a death of a prisoner;
• a death of a corrections officer;
• an injury to a corrections officer requiring hospitalisation;
• an injury to a prisoner requiring hospitalisation;
• an escape or attempted escape;
• a breach or attempted external breach of the perimeter; or
• a hostage situation.
There have been four critical incidents at the AMC between the opening of the prison and March 2010.
(2) Yes. Two incidents involved the hospitalisation of prisoners following incidents of self harm. One incident involved the hospitalisation of a prisoner following an altercation with another prisoner. The final incident involved the death of a prisoner.
(3) A ‘prohibited item’ (contraband) is any item that is illegal, offensive, or prejudicial to the health of any person or to the security or good order of the AMC. Prohibited items include mobile phones, explosives, liquor, drugs and other illegal substances, implements used for administering drugs, weapons and tattoo guns. A full list of prohibited items can be found in the AMC Contraband Policy on the ACT legislation register.
There have been 127 instances of prohibited item (contraband) finds within the AMC since the commencement of operations until 30 April 2010.
This figure includes prohibited item finds detected within the AMC (including the AMC carpark). Additionally it contains items detected on both visitors and staff prior to their entry into the AMC.
(4) The type of prohibited items referred to in question (3) are:
Unauthorised prescription medicine
Unauthorised kitchen implements
Unauthorised recreational items
Unauthorised tobacco-related items
Sharp items (e.g. razor blade, broken toothbrush)
Unauthorised technology items (e.g. mobile telephones)
Miscellaneous items (e.g. containers, currency)
(5) The following information does not include prisoner breaches of policies or procedures.
There have been seven breaches of policy or procedure by ACTCS staff (where an investigation has been undertaken into the breach) relating to the management of the AMC.