Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 6 May 2010) . . Page.. 2039 ..
• Development and Education
The Department of Education and Training provides a range of specialist developmental and educational programs including:
• communication and social awareness group for children aged between 18 months and three years. A diagnosis is not required for this group, but many of the children are considered likely to be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder;
• children with a diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder between the ages of three and four years are eligible for eight hours of early intervention education services per week;
• preschool-aged children are able to access up to 12 hours of mainstream preschool per week, in addition to their early intervention education hours;
• Autism specific Learning Support Units in primary and high schools provide supported educational placements;
• Inclusion Support for students in mainstream settings. This is a combination of direct resources allocated to schools (often resulting in the employment of Learning Support Assistant) and the support of consultant teachers;
• Special school placements;
• Students with ASD are also eligible for placements in general Learning Support Units and Learning Support Centres;
• Technology support from the Inclusive Technology team; and
• Ongoing professional development programs for school staff focussing on ASD – this includes the Positive Partnerships program in 2009 and 2010.
Disability services—unmet need(Question No 816)
Ms Bresnan asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice, on 24 March 2010:
(1) What is the financial value of the current level of known unmet need for disability services per annum.
(2) How much of this reflects unmet need for (a) the Individual Support Package Program, (b) accommodation places and (c) respite services.
(3) What other types of services are reflected in the calculation of unmet need.
Ms Burch: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Current assessments by Disability ACT put the known unmet need at approximately $8.3 million.