Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 03 Hansard (Thursday, 18 March 2010) . . Page.. 1170 ..
2) Principals select teachers for language positions based on qualifications and relevant experience. Currently the identification of teacher qualifications for teachers already in the system are stored in hard copy on individual personnel files. A manual search of each individual file would be required to report information on relevant experience and qualifications.
3) Information is not currently collected on language teachers’ movements to other subject areas. Resignation or retirement notification does not include teachers’ subject areas.
4) The Department’s language teachers continuously undertake professional development to enhance their language skills and teaching methodologies. The Department engages a range of external and internal service providers to meet the ongoing professional development and learning of language teachers in eight identified languages.
5) The Department employs teachers holding recognised three year and four year teaching training qualifications. ACTESA teachers considering employment with the Department can apply through the continuous recruitment process or annual recruitment round.
Multiculturalism—language policy(Question No 524)
Ms Hunter asked the Minister for Multicultural Affairs, upon notice, on 9 February 2010:
(1) Will the ACT whole-of-government language policy for the ACT, noted in the ACT Multicultural Strategy 2010-2013, be open for consultation; if so, how will this consultation be conducted.
(2) Will the finalised policy be a public document.
Ms Burch: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Yes it will be. The community consultation process will involve the release of a discussion paper in mid 2010 followed by a consultation forum and a call for submissions from interested parties.
Muliculturalism—women’s services(Question No 525)
Ms Hunter asked the Minister for Women, upon notice, on 9 February 2010:
(1) What promotion is currently being undertaken amongst the multicultural community for women’s grants and services apart from the Multicultural E-news Bulletin.