Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2008 Week 10 Hansard (28 August) . . Page.. 4035..
(Question No 2211)
Mr Seseljaasked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 21 August 2008:
(1) In relation to the Forecast Underspends for 2007-08 in the Capital Works Report for the March Quarter 2007-08, what are the principal reasons for the rollover of funding for (a) Capital Improvements - Improving the Look of the City, (b) Lake Ginninderra Foreshore Upgrade - Stage 2, (c) Civic Olympic Pool - Replacement Air Dome, (d) Lakeside Leisure Centre Refurbishments, (e) Harrison District Playing Fields, (f) Lanyon Drive Upgrade (Monaro Highway to Sheppard Street), (g) Bonython West Infrastructure Duplication of Athllon Drive, (h) Government Offices Air Conditioning Upgrade, (i) Acton Temporary Car Park, (j) Fyshwick Stormwater Augmentation, (k) Airport Roads Stage 1, (l) Tharwa Bridge, (m) Predator-Free Sanctuary - Mulligans Flat and (n) an ACT Dragway;
(2) Have the projects been re-scoped since the original allocation, or has the cost of the projects changed; if so, what are those changes;
(3) What (a) was the original and (b) is the current estimated month and year for completion of the projects;
(4) Why was the delay in acquittal of funding for the projects in the 2007-08 year unanticipated at the time of original budget forecasts for the 2007-08 year;
(5) What portion of the budget for these projects does the rollover represent.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
1. In relation to the Forecast Underspends for 2007-08 in the Capital Works Report for the March Quarter 2007-08, the principal reasons for the rollover of funding are as follows:
(a) Capital Improvements - Improving the Look of the City
Delays were experienced in procuring the design contracts for projects associated with Canberra City Central as well as urban Landscape and Built Asset Improvements, reflective of the tight market conditions and poor response from industry. Delays associated with Shopping Centre Improvements were largely due to the extensive consultation undertaken with local traders and the community. Delays within the Parks and Reserves category were primarily due to the large number of playground sites, lengthy consultation requirements and a 14 week lead time required by major playground equipment manufacturers for supply of equipment.
(b) Lake Ginninderra Foreshore Upgrade - Stage 2
Delays have been caused by lakebed and water level issues requiring additional technical investigation and amendments to the final design.
(f) Lanyon Drive Upgrade (Monaro Highway to Sheppard Street)
The Tender was delayed to ensure that it did not coincide with several other large tender processes, including the Airport Pialligo Drive duplication, to ensure better value for money.