Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2008 Week 10 Hansard (Wednesday, 27 August 2008) . . Page.. 3869 ..
Schedules of amendments
Protection of Public Participation Bill 2008
Amendments moved by the Attorney-General
omit the title, substitute
A Bill for
An Act about protection for participation in public debate and matters of public interest
Page 3, line 1—
omit clause 5, substitute
• Purpose of Act
The purpose of this Act is to protect public participation, and discourage certain civil proceedings that a reasonable person would consider interfere with engagement in public participation.
Page 3, line 23—
omit clause 6, substitute
• Meaning of improper purpose
For this Act, a proceeding is started or maintained against a person (the defendant) for an improper purpose if a reasonable person would consider that the main purpose for starting or maintaining the proceeding is—
• to discourage the defendant (or anyone else) from engaging in public participation; or
• to divert the defendant’s resources away from engagement in public participation to the proceeding; or
• to punish or disadvantage the defendant for engaging in public participation.
Page 4, line 13—
omit clause 7, substitute
• Meaning of public participation