Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2008 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 8 May 2008) . . Page.. 1825 ..
Health—eating disorders program
(Question No 2022)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 3 April 2008:
• What will the ACT Government spend in 2007-08 on the eating disorders program (EDP) and how is this funding broken down, for example building and staff etc;
• What was spent on EDP in (a) 2004-05 and (b) 2005-06;
• How many staff are currently employed at EDP;
• Are there any other education programs in the ACT besides “Any Body’s Cool”;
• What is the success rate for clients admitted to EDP and how is this determined;
• Is the dietician at EDP only part-time; if so, why;
• Does the psychiatrist only work once a fortnight for half a day at EDP; if so, why;
• If a client is deemed to be “chronic” or not “ill enough” by the program, where is he/she referred to;
• What programs are available for chronic older patients;
• How many clients are (a) currently in the Anorexia Day program at EDP and (b) in individual therapy;
• Are there any statistics on how the EDP compares with similar EDPs nationally;
• Does the EDP fit into the “Worldwide Charter for Action”;
• How many hours a week is the trial teaching position and how does this person liaise with schools;
• Has the trial outlined in part (13) been effective; if so, how is this determined;
• What data is available for “Any Body’s Cool” and how has this been found to result in good outcomes for young people, particularly in boosting self-esteem and body image.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
• The full year budget for the Eating Disorders Program (EDP) for 2007-08 is $411,271. Breakdown as follows: Employee expenses $374,126. Non employee expenses $37,145.
• The full year budget for the EDP in 2004-05 was $390,227 and in 2005-06 was $396,947.
• Staffing at the EDP comprises 4.67 FTE, spread over 8 staff members.