Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2007 Week 12 Hansard (Thursday, 22 November 2007) . . Page.. 3800 ..
• When will recycling bins be installed throughout all town centres in Canberra.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Before installation of the recycling bins in Glebe Park, 62% of the waste by volume in rubbish bins was recyclable material. After installation of the recycling bins, this was reduced to 49% recyclable material in waste bins. In addition, 100% of material placed in the recycling bins was recyclable. That is, no contamination. A survey of 92 people using the park indicated that a different design to the bins and minor changes to signage would improve this retrieval result even further. The survey also showed 80% of people used the facilities correctly with 100% support for recycling in public areas.
(2 & 3) Six months is adequate as it covered a range of seasons and differing usage levels of the park. The analysis of the trial data has provided valuable information which will improve the efficiency of any proposed service in the future.
(Question No 1736)
Dr Foskey asked the Minister for the Environment, Water and Climate Change, upon notice, on 17 October 2007:
• Has the new Commissioner for the Environment and Sustainability taken up her position yet;
• Could you please provide a job description for the new position;
• Will there be a strengthened complaints procedure given the enlarged hours and greater scope of the position;
• What measures will be put into place to ensure adequate and independent scrutiny of complaints and issues, given that the new commissioner is a very recent high-level employee of the Government;
• When will the report prepared by the previous Commissioner reviewing the role of the Office and the Commissioner be released;
• What is the timeline for the State of the Environment (SoE) report;
• Will this report also measure sustainability;
• What indicators will be used to measure sustainability, if covered in the report;
• What expert panels have been set up to advise the process for preparing the SoE report and who are the members of the panels;
• What sources of data are being used and will any new data be commissioned for the report;