Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2007 Week 12 Hansard (Wednesday, 21 November 2007) . . Page.. 3583 ..
Wednesday, 21 November 2007
The Assembly met at 10.30 am.
MR SPEAKER (Mr Berry) took the chair and asked members to stand in silence and pray or reflect on their responsibilities to the people of the Australian Capital Territory.
The following petition was lodged for presentation, by Mr Pratt, from 145 residents:
To the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly for the Australian Capital Territory.
• This petition of certain residents of the Australian Capital Territory draws to the attention of the Assembly that the community of Tharwa are suffering financial and emotional effects as a result of the Stanhope Governments failure to:
• erect a temporary low level crossing to provide immediate, safe access across the Murrumbidgee River;
• expedite the replacement or refurbishment of the Tharwa Bridge;
• ensure the retention of a Primary School in Tharwa village.
• Your petitioners therefore request that the Assembly act to ensure that the Stanhope Government give assurances to the community of Tharwa that:
• they move immediately to erect a temporary low level crossing in order to bring immediate relief;
• immediately re-examine the feasibility of refurbishing and making the existing bridge safe for at least light vehicle traffic;
• if b) is not feasible then, that the Tharwa bridge replacement will occur on time and on budget;
• the Tharwa Pre School will remain open despite a lack of enrolments caused by poor access to Tharwa.
The Clerk having announced that the terms of the petition would be recorded in Hansard and a copy referred to the appropriate minister, the petition was received.
Leave of absence
Motion (by Ms MacDonald) agreed to:
That leave of absence be given to Mr Corbell (Attorney-General) for today and tomorrow.
Sentencing Legislation Amendment Bill 2007
Mr Stefaniak, pursuant to notice, presented the bill and its explanatory statement.