Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 13 Hansard (14 December) . . Page.. 4249..
Children—care and protection
(Question No 1337)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Disability and Community Services, upon notice, on 17 October 2006:
(1) How many case workers are currently employed with the Department in relation to Child Support and Protection;
(2) What is the case load of each case worker at any one time;
(3) How many children died in the ACT as a result of (a) domestic violence, (b) abuse (c) neglect between the ages of (i) 0-3years, (ii) 3-5years, (iii) 5-12 years and (iv) 12-16years who had (A) previously been known to or had some contact with or (B) not previously been known to the Department of Disability and Community Services;
(4) What is the comparative figure for the number of child deaths within the community generally.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) There are currently 102 operational Care and Protection Services workers employed by the Department.
(2) Caseloads are dependent on the level of experience, skill and operational area of the staff member. Staff of varying levels may case manage between 5 and 16 cases.
(3) No period has been stipulated in this question. However during the past twelve months there have been six children who at some time in their lives were known to Care and Protection Services who are known to have died. None of these children were in the care of the Chief Executive. Coronial Inquires have not been completed to ascertain the cause of death of these children. Of these children, one child was aged 4 years. All other children were aged 0-3 years. Information concerning the number of child deaths in the ACT during the same period is not available.
(4) Data concerning child deaths during 2005-2006 is not available. However, in June 2006, the Review of ACT Child Deaths Report, covering the period 1992-2003 prepared by the ACT Health Child Death Review Team, was released. The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages provides limited data in the Annual Report of the Department of Justice and Community Safety.
(Question No 1342)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for the Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 18 October 2006:
(1) What is the total budget for bushfire hazard reduction for the 2006-07 bushfire season for (a) hazard reduction burns conducted by fire units, (b) any other hazard reduction and clean up tasks, (c) the monthly activity program by activity by which this budget will be