Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 10 (19 October) . . Page.. 3364..
(Question No 1199)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 24 August 2006:
(1) What is the cost of purchasing demountable classrooms;
(2) To date, how many demountables have been purchased for schools to accommodate students who currently attend schools that are proposed to close;
(3) Are there any surplus demountables; if so, how many;
(4) To date, how many demountables have been relocated;
(5) What is the cost of maintaining demountables.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The estimated cost of purchasing a new two classroom transportable building is around $200 000. This does not include the cost of installation of the building and any required ancillary work, such as playground and car parking expansion that has the potential to bring the cost up to around $400 000.
(2) To date, no transportable classrooms have been purchased to accommodate students from schools proposed to close.
(3) At this point in time no surplus transportable classroom buildings have been confirmed as available from other schools.
(4) During 2006 no transportable buildings have been relocated.
(5) Maintenance costs of transportable buildings are influenced significantly by the age and robustness of construction. The Department of Education and Training is not able to isolate maintenance costs for individual transportable classroom buildings. As an estimate, normal maintenance costs would not be expected to exceed $2 000 to $3 000 per year.
Emergency Services Authority
(Question No 1200)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 24 August 2006:
(1) What has been the financial cost to the ACT of the implementation of the recommendations of the McLeod Report and other matters related to the establishment of the Emergency Services Authority for each financial year since 2003-04.
(2) How many additional staff have been employed by the ACT Government in response to the recommendations of the McLeod Report and the other decisions related to the establishment of the Emergency Services Authority for each financial year since 2003-04.