Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2006 Week 7 Hansard (17 August) . . Page.. 2405..
(1) Since 2004, the Actively Ageing program has been expanded through the implementation of the Canberra Active Living Model (CALM) program and the Canberra Senior Sports Carnival (CSSC).
In the last 18 months, five CALM centres have become operational with an average of five classes at each venue per week. Operational centres include Kippax, Hackett, Curtin, Weston and Kaleen.
The YMCA of Canberra PrYme Movers program (Physical Activity Program for Older Adults) has been successful in obtaining $20,000 via the Sport and Recreation ACT Grants program since 2004. Currently the PrYme Movers program operates in 25 locations throughout Canberra, conducting 88 classes per week with an average of around 550 attendees per week.
(2) The effectiveness of the CALM programs is assessed using the Fullerton Seniors Fitness Test at baseline and post program. Currently Kippax and Hackett have completed this phase. Findings from the Kippax program included:
- Increase in lower body strength;
- Increase in upper body strength;
- Increase in aerobic capacity;
- Increase in lower body flexibility;
- Decrease in reaction time for dynamic balance; and
- Decrease in systolic blood pressure.
A Physiotherapist from ACT Community Health conducted pre and additional testing using the Falls Screen protocol. Out of 44 people tested, 31 participants improved their Falls Risk scores.
In response to participant evaluation questionnaires:
- 84% of people rated the program activities as excellent;
- 74% of people rated the opportunity for social interaction as being excellent;
- 95% rated the program as meeting their expectations; and
- 95% intended to undertake physical activity in the future.
(Question No 1164)
DR FOSKEY asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 8 June 2006:
(1) What are the protocols for handling a report that staff in the education system have been bullied;
(2) Are there any protocols stating that staff should not discuss complaints against other staff in front of students and parents;
(3) What are the possible consequences for the staff person that initiated or conducted the bullying if the complaint is substantiated;